Rachana Dubey (BOMBAY TIMES; April 25, 2017)

She's got an easy-going vibe. She's minty cool to talk about everything under the sun, a quality that's rare among actresses. In Shah Rukh Khan's words, Alia Bhatt is too good too soon. And finally, the actress, who has been juggling various assignments, has found an opportunity to follow SRK's advice: to go easy on work. For the next few months, the li'l Miss Bhatt will be unwinding in her new home, learning Kathak, cooking and catching up on movies and life. Even as she is enjoying this break, Alia talks to BT about movies, marriage and much more. Excerpts...

Buzz is that your father (Mahesh Bhatt) and you are expected to collaborate on a film this year...
We are doing a lot of brainstorming. It's not like we don't want to work together, but it should be at the right place at the right time on the right stuff. My father says that I shouldn't do a film with him just because I am supposed to... I should work with the home banner only when I want to. If we are collaborating creatively for the first time, it should be on something that makes us all happy.

Do you see yourself getting into production?
Never say never! I can see myself getting into production at some point because I can then push exciting and young talent, but I don't think I will have the bandwidth for direction.

Your father always has wise words to dole out to you, regardless of the occasion. Has he always been like that?
Whether I have a release around the corner or if it's something else, he always sends encouraging messages, shares his thoughts and guides me. On the other hand, my mother (Soni Razdan) is more concerned about whether I am eating on time, resting enough and where I am shooting. She wants details on everything, though I don't stay in the same house anymore. Her primary concern is my well-being. Parents never change.

Do you think you've already taken the first step by moving out?
From the time I have started living alone, I've begun to enjoy my own company. I like being by myself. I watch TV and do other things in my spare time. I make it a point to have one meal in a day without watching TV or even looking up at the ceiling. It is strange, but therapeutic.

Professionally, you're on a break before your next film begins. Is Shah Rukh Khan's word of caution making you take time off work?
I agree with Shah Rukh Khan, and I am slowing down because of that. Having said that, I don't completely agree when people say that don't play all your cards now. I don't think anyone has a fixed deck of cards. I believe more in the theory that matter is neither created nor destroyed. It just changes shape and form. I feel humans also change and evolve. There's no full stop unless you believe there is one for you. I don't believe there's a full stop for me, but I agree that there is no need to burn out. So, I am not doing a film for some months and I have plans to use the time appropriately.

In the time that you have taken off, what do you plan to do?
I'll learn to play the piano. I'm also going to take kathak classes, learn how to cook, and watch English and Hindi movies that I haven't seen before. It will be a great reset button for me. I want to use every day of these months fruitfully. I get confused when I have nothing to do, though I think it's important to feel that way once in a while.

Does this come rather easily to you because you have moved out of your parents' home and are living on your own?
The difference between living with your parents and living separately lies in the sense of ownership the latter gives you. When you live with your parents, your sense of ownership is to them and not to the house. They are the base of the mountain that holds everything together. When you move into your own house, you are the base of the mountain. I think I had a space of my own even when I lived with my parents, but it's the thinking that has changed.

Now that you have such a strong sense of independence, how far do you think you are from marriage?
Very far. I'm just 24 years old now. I love babies and want to have my own. But I have to have that kind of equation with my partner to move into that space. Aisa nahi hai ki excitement mein sab ho jayega.

What is your take on marriage, given the society today, and the way the youth perceives relationships?
There are two ways of looking at it. I am not against marriage. Look at Shahid (Kapoor) and Mira. They are sweet together and they set a great example for arranged marriages. It's a lifelong commitment. The relationship will change and evolve with time, but you need a basic connection and understanding with each other to go through the numerous phases of life together. Even my father had a first marriage which didn't work and then his second marriage worked out beautifully. I've seen people with failed first marriages trying their hand at it all over again. I don't call it a mistake or a taboo. It's a complicated space. You don't have to get it right each time and you can't go wrong each time either. That is the reason you need to think it through. Before jumping into it, you should know for sure whether you want it.

What do you seek in your companion?
The best part is, you don't have to look for anything. It's a sort of synergy where each one of you balances the flaws of the other and uses the pros effectively. You have to inspire your partner and accept him or her with their flaws. Don't negate or try to change anything because companionship is working together as one entity. And in all of this, ego should be crushed. If you don't your kill ego, it will kill your relationship.

No matter how good a relationship is, do you think women always end up giving more?
Honestly, women don't give themselves as much as they give others in any relationship. They won't care for themselves, but they'll be out there for their sons, husbands, brothers, parents, friends...you name it. Women forget that they need to give themselves some time and space, too. As soon as you realise that you need to focus on yourself, you become easy with yourself. For instance, it's not like my mother doesn't have issues, but she has a very strong relationship with herself. And at some point, I see myself going that route.

Do you think a live-in relationship can be a solution to finding the perfect mate?
I am not campaigning for or against live-in relationships. To each his own. Though I have not been in a live-in space, I think sometimes you just want to try and live with that person to know things better. Sometimes, it's also exciting when you're trying to know each other after marriage. If you have lived together, you already know each other's ways and are used to each other. There are pros and cons for both. What you want to do with your friend, companion, whatever you want to call it, should be your decision.