Rachana Dubey (BOMBAY TIMES; February 19, 2018)

Once the perpetual desi damsel on the big screen, Shotgun Junior has now transformed. While her choices in terms of films are evidently braver than before, she has also visibly begun to dare fashion cops with her sartorial selections. Sonakshi Sinha, who is not in a tearing hurry to pick everything that comes her way, says, “For me, the benchmark is: does this push me to do something different? If the answer is yes, I am on.” Here are excerpts from her quick chat with BT…

Over the last two years, with films like Force 2, Noor, Ittefaq and now, Welcome To New York, it looks like you are consciously trying to change your perception as an artiste...
Actually, it’s not a conscious thought. I’ve been instinctive from my first film. If I like a script, I do the movie and if I don’t, I politely turn down the offer. Luckily, a lot of roles have been coming my way in recent times, which have pushed me to do something different. There was a time when I worked in films which belonged to a similar space, but now, I am working across genres and that is exciting. For me, the benchmark is: ‘Does this push me to do something different?’ If the answer is yes, I am on.

Is that what drew you to an OTT comedy like Welcome To New York?
I like comedy as a genre. It’s India’s first stage reality film, which has a brilliant concept. Today is the time to run risks, which is what I have done in some of my recent films. I am open to experiments and I am progressively doing just that. When I was told about the idea, I was on board immediately. Shooting the film was a lot of fun, but also very chaotic. We shot it abroad at an award show. It was a one-of-its-kind experience. None of us had ever done something like this. Our own colleagues (Bollywood stars) would keep us on stand-by till they had the time to shoot their cameos. They would give us time at odd hours and we’d be shooting all day and all night.

All along, right from the time of your debut, criticism hasn’t left your side. Recently, you even made a statement about being called a ‘cow’ and being shamed for your dress sense. Critics also came down heavily on you for your choice of films, two years ago. What’s your equation with criticism today?
We share a fantastic relationship; without it, I wouldn’t be where I am. Someone somewhere pushed me to do better; criticism worked like a propeller for me. The impact is more psychological and internal than physical. So, for instance, if someone assumes that I can’t do a certain thing, I make it a point to shut them up with some kickass work in the said space. I am rebellious in that manner and I have been that way since I can remember. I want to prove my detractors wrong and I think that’s the way to take criticism. I don’t mind it; keep it coming and it will push me to do better.



Whose criticism matters the most to you?
What matters to me is what my family and closest friends say. My mother criticises my work, but I know that she has my best interest at the core of her heart. She gives me a reality check. My father is exactly the opposite; he never criticises, which I think is a problem (laughs). I think he should, because it would help me. I also have my friends who have been with me from the time I was in school and college. They’ve seen me through the years, and are very honest about my work. They come to my movies and laugh at some of them and joke about them. That kind of criticism is essential and it’s also very important because they represent that part of the audience that I can’t directly connect with.

On the work front, over the last one year, plenty has been spoken and written about the next film in the Dabangg series...
Yes, and I am back as Rajjo. I am glad that it has been confirmed by Arbaaz Khan and Prabhu Dheva (producer and director, respectively). I am excited to get back to the project after so many years. I have a great equation with Salman, Arbaaz and Prabhu sir. It’s fun working with people who are connected with each other.

Though Dabangg was about Salman’s character, Rajjo had a lot of gravitas. One of the major criticisms against Bollywood has always been that the heroines are treated as flower pots in the narrative. Today, however, a lot has changed in terms of what an actress gets to do in a film. What’s your view on it?
I think that’s a great and positive step, but I disagree with the thought that all actresses were props or decorations in our films. Women always had their part to play. Look at Madhuri Dixit, Karisma Kapoor, Sridevi…the personality of these women and their persona on screen was outstanding. They lent so much to the parts they played in their films. If you do something with all your heart, it’s a part done well. Today, the audience is open to seeing women perform heroic acts on screen. Earlier, they wanted to see men doing herogiri, but that is not the case anymore. You know, when I was shooting Akira with A R Murugadoss, he treated me the way he treated Akshay Kumar on the set of Holiday: A Soldier Is Never Off Duty. It gives you a sense of confidence and such equal treatment is very gratifying for an artiste. This is how it should be.

Talking about artistes and gratification, what do you think about the pace at which actors are transitioning from one medium of entertainment to another? Actors are easily moving from the big screen to the phone screen, thanks to the web revolution...
Way to go! I did TV and films simultaneously. Web is a big medium today. Internet is booming in terms of the quality of content. I would love to do something on it because everything boils down to the role. The lines are blurred in terms of the medium, at least for the creative workforce. People are glued to their phones and that’s the audience that we’re all looking to cater, no?