Dharmendra and Sunny on the latter’s next directorial which introduces another Deol, Karan
Roshmila Bhattacharya (MUMBAI MIRROR; April 24, 2018)

Last Friday, when Sunny Deol was shooting son, Karan’s debut film, Pal Pal Dil Ke Paas, at the Buddh International Circuit in NCR, he had a surprise visitor. “I was in Delhi for some work and had heard they were shooting some racing car sequences. So, I decided to drop by and watch my grandson in action. I didn’t want to disturb them at work, so I didn’t tell anyone I was coming. No one was expecting me par jaldi hi khamoshi khushi mein badal gayi. I could see the hint of tears in Sunny’s eyes. He doesn’t say much but being his father I notice,” says Dharmendra, flashbacking to that emotional moment.

Sunny laughs saying his papa had been “threatening” to visit them for a while and when he finally did, his sudden appearance seemed unreal. On the scene that was being shot, the director informs that it is integral to the script, filmed with high-end racing cars, a technical crew from abroad and among the drivers is Gaurav Gill, the first Indian driver to win the FIA Asia-Pacific Rally Championship.

“I’d dropped by the Betaab (Sunny’s first film) sets unannounced too and watched him playing football. My Kashmiri brothers and sister have since named that location as ‘Betaab Valley’ in a touching gesture of love. Over three decades later, I arrived to find Karan behind the wheel of a racing car and watched him on the monitor where he spotted me after the shot,” the veteran actor reminisces.

Sunny turned director with Dillagi, a love triangle featuring him, younger brother Bobby and Urmila Matondkar, in 1999. He returned 17 years later with Ghayal Once Again and is now gearing up to launch his son and Seher Bamba in his third directorial. Does the job get easier with time? “I was an actor who became a director and got back to it after a long time. I understand it a lot better now but since this is my son’s debut film, there’s a lot of pressure on me to make sure everything is right. I guess dad felt the same way when he was launching me. Now, being a father myself, I understand him better,” he says.

Admitting that he’s never sure about what he’s created till the film releases, Sunny philosophises, “Life’s uncertain too. I come from a family of actors who are in this profession because we enjoy the work. If the work is good and the film works, you become a star. But we have remained actors because for us the biggest thrill is getting into character rather than focussing on learning other things we shouldn’t be concentrating on.”

His father agrees that launching Karan is a huge responsibility. “Every father dreams of creating something beautiful for his child. It’s Sunny’s dream too and being Karan’s gradfather I share it. But in a world of make-believe, success comes by chance no matter how hard you work. Fortunately, the love of the people has been with us through the last six decades aur duaayein bahut kaam aati hai,” Dharmendra asserts. Does Karan share any of the qualities of his father or grandfather? “There’s a bit of all of us in him but eventually he’s a unique induvidual.”

The film has borrowed its title from the song from Dharmendra’s 1973 film Blackmail. Sunny admits it’s one of his favourite numbers and apt as the title for a youthful romance. “Love is so beautiful, precious and pure, till the cracks appear,” he points out. The team moves to Manali next and will wrap up the film in the Bay.